This house is located at 1328 Sherwin Avenue Chicago in the Rogers Park neighborhood. Construction was started on July 1, 1908. The house was built by architect Walter Burley Griffin. The building was built for J. Benjamin an auditor. The contractors were Henry Beutler and Evan D. Evans. Construction costs were approximately $6000.
The architect Walter Burley Griffin previously had worked under Frank Lloyd Wright for 5 years. He established his own practice in 1906.
The house style is Prairie School. It features horizontally oriented design with wide projecting eaves; ribbons of casement windows that are parts of the walls; low pitched pyramidal roof and a low substantial chimney.
The Moulton family lived in the house for 3 years; it was sold in 1911 to Jules Raymond, a manufacturer. They lived in the house until 1914. The next owner was Thomas Proctor.
There were several subsequent owners. They made several renovations including: removing the original woodwork, door hardware, lighting and planters and changing the interior finished.
The current owner is Betsy Downs, an architect. She is seeking to restore the house to its original appearance.