This building is located at 3325 N. Southport Avenue Chicago.
The building that is now Southport Lanes and Billiards was originally constructed in the early 1900’s. It was named the Nook. It was one of the many Schlitz tied taverns constructed in the Chicago area.
In 1922, the name was changed to Southport Lanes. It featured 4 hand operated bowling lanes.
At some time during the 1920’s, the building was converted to a speakeasy with an upper floor brothel. After prohibition ended, a new room was constructed east of the bar room. Originally, the new space was used as a gambling facility with direct lines to race tracks across the country. In the 1950’s, it was converted to a beer hall for rent. Currently, it is used as a billiard room.
The Southport Lanes were renovated in 1991 and in 2003.