Green Mill Cocktail Lounge
The Green Mill Cocktail Lounge is located at 4802 N. Broadway in Chicago. It is located in the Uptown neighborhood.
In 1907, it was known as Pop Morse’s Gardens (also Pop Horse’s Roadhouse). During that time period the area was called Lakeview. It was known for its large sunken beer garden.
In 1910, Pop Morse’s Gardens was purchased by Tom Chamales. He expanded the facility and added outdoor dancing and entertainment in the sunken gardens. He installed a Rhumba Room on the second floor. He had a large green windmill on the roof to go with the new name–Green Mill Gardens ( the name as inspired by the Moulin Rouge in Paris.
Chamales was also involved with the construction of the Rivera Theater around the corner.
During Prohibition, the Green Mill was leased to the Mafia by the Chamales Brothers. One of the managers was Machine GunMcGurn. He worked for Al Capone. He was also involved in the Saint Valentine’s Day Massacre.
One of the regular customers was Al Capone. His favorite booth was across the side door on Lawrence at the end of the bar.
Following the gangster era and prohibition, the Green Mill was acquired by the Batsis Brothers in 1942. They owned the night club into the 1960’s. They were responsible for some of the current day décor.