Essanay Studios were founded by George Spor and William Anderson. The operation was based on Chicago first at 496 Wells Street and then at 1333-45 Argyle Street. The studios were in Chicago from 1908-1917 and the relocated west.
The Argyle Building is now part of Saint Augustine College. In the basement are two vaults used to store the highly flammable nitrate based film.