The Rogers Park Woman’s Club was founded in the fall of 1891. At its establishment, it had 10 members. Early in its history, the Rogers Park Woman’s Club was a literary organization. Later it expanded into civics, public welfare, and the arts.
Its first major project was the establishment of the Rogers Park library. Members also were involved with the Northwestern University Settlement House (Americanization courses and teaching English to immigrants. They were advocates for domestic science courses in public schools and establishment of kindergarten.
For years the Rogers Park Woman’s Club sought to establish their own permanent club house. In 1910, the organization purchased a lot at the corner of Estes and Ashland Avenue in Rogers Park. The architect for the building was Elbert Somers. The cornerstone was laid in 1916. The Rogers Park Woman’s Club building was completed in 1917. In 1927, the mortgage was paid off.
During World War 1, the Rogers Park Woman’s Club was headquarters for all Rogers Park Red Cross work.
The club celebrated its 90th anniversary in the early 1980’s. Due to increasing expenses and decreased membership, the decision was made to sell the club house building in 1983. The first new owner was the Unification Church. They used the building for decades.
In the mean time, the Rogers Park Woman’s Club decided to use the Banner Hall in the parish house of the Episcopalian Church of Saint Paul by the Lake as their club house. The organization closed forever in 1996.
In 2012, the Cuckoo Theater Company acquired the former Rogers Park Women’s Club Building. The building underwent an extensive internal renovation. The former offices, meeting rooms and second floor ballroom were converted into two theaters.