The Cinestage Theater was located at 180-190 N. Dearborn Street. It was originally known as the Selwyn. It was designed by C. Howard Crane in 1922 for producers Sam Harris and Edgar Selwyn. It was built in Georgian Style. After its run as a legitimate theater, it was purchased by Mike Todd.
Mr. Todd converted it to the first permanent Todd AO showplace in Chicago. It opened on April 4, 1957. It was known as the Todd AO laboratory.
The theater was acquired by States Theater. It featured adult films at the Cinestage. A flat screen was installed. Porno films were shown from 1970-1980.
MR Theaters acquired the building and renamed it Dearborn Cinema in December 20, 1985. Their management was short lived. The building was abandoned. It was purchased by the city. It was demolished with the exception of its facade which was used in the new Goodman Theater Building.