This sculpture is located in Lincoln Park at 2045 N. Lincoln Park West, Chicago. It was installed in 1891. The winning artist was Louis T. Rebisso. He was one of 12 competitors for the project.
His sculpture consisted of an 18 foot tall equestrian bronze statue above an elegant stone arched structure. At the dedication in 1891 over 200,000 people attended.
In the mid 1990’s, the structure was renovated. Included in the project was cleaning and tuckpointing the masonry, treating the bronze sculpture, and installing new lights.