Located at 5400 N. Clark in the Andersonville neighborhood of Chicago is the restaurant Hamburger Mary’s. This is a chain with multiple locations in the U.S.
Few are aware that this was originally the site of the Swedish American State Bank. It was built in 1913. The architects were Ottenheimer, Stern, and Reichert.
The style was beaux arts. The facade is white glazed terra cotta.
There have been extensive renovations since 1913. Before 1940, it was split into 3 stores. Additional doors, windows and awnings were added
The second floor (the attic) was originally a mezzanine. It was converted to a complete room. Skylights were tarred over.