The Edison Bridge crosses the Caloosahatchee River connecting Fort Myers with North Fort Myers. The bridge is also known as US Business 41. The current bridge is actually 2 separate bridges– one for northbound and the other for southbound traffic. Each bridge has 3 lanes and is 55 feet high. They land at the same point in the north side and are separated by three blocks on the south side. Bridges were built in the early 1990’s. They are concrete girders bridges
The current bridge was replacement of a prior structure built in 1931. It was dedicated by Thomas Edison. He was the first individual to drive across it. It was a single two lane lost bascule drawbridge It was replaced in 1992.
History added 4/22/2018.