There have been four bridges traversing traversing the North Branch Chicago River at Fullerton Avenue (2400 West; 1850) east to west 4.8 miles from the river mouth.
The current bridge is the fourth bridge at this site. It was built in stages. The two northern lanes were built first. The prior bridge remained in place June to December 1960. The old bridge was then dismantled and the four remaining lanes of the new bridge were constructed. The completed bridge officially opened on September 21, 1961.It
The bridge is a fixed steel and reinforced concrete structure. It is 277 feet long and 80 feet wide.
Design: Division of Bridges and Viaducts City of Chicago
Construction: William E. Schweitzer and Company
Construction costs were $ 1.35 million.
Before the first bridge at Fullerton Avenue could be built, the street had to be extended from Ashland Avenue to the river. The municipalities of Chicago and Lakeview both contributed to construction costs 3/4 and 1/4 respectively.
The bridge opened in 1874. It was a fixed iron bridge It was 225 feet long and 20 feet wide.
Design: Fox and Howard
Construction Contractor: Fox and Howard
Construction costs were $5,000. The bridge was removed In 1877.
The second bridge at Fullerton Avenue was a wood and iron hand operated swing structure. It was funded with contributions from Chicago ( 2/3) and Lakeview (1/3).
Construction: I.W. Lavin Company of
Construction costs were $7,444. The bridge was removed In 1894-5.
The third bridge at this site opened in 1895.: It was a Pratt through Truss swing bridge. It rested on a rim bearing turntable. It carried both traffic and street cars of the North Chicago Street Railway Company. It was 164 1/2 feet long and 18 feet wide. It had 5 feet sidewalks. It was originally hand operated. It was later converted to electric powered.
Design: Chicago Bridge and Iron Company
Superstructure Contractor: Chicago Bridge and Iron Company
Substructure Contractor: FitzSimmons and Connell Company
Construction costs were $27,753. The bridge was removed In December, 1960.