In the year 1889, subsidiary of the C&NW RR. known as the Junction Rail Road was developed to build a bypass from the main line in Evanston at Simpson Street and Green Bay Road. It extended southwest along what was known at the Big Ditch (predecessor or the North Shore Channel) to the Mayfair Junction in Chicago. The purpose of this bypass was to alleviate congestion on the main line of the C &NW. It predominately handled freight and industrial costumers.
The village of Evanston required the C&NW RR to also provide passenger service on this line. Depots were built at Emerson Street, Greenwood Boulevard and the Weber Yard. There were three trains per weekday. Eventually this service was discontinued.
The Chicago and West Ridge Railroad was a railroad spur branching off the Mayfair Cut near Oakton Street and extending to Lincoln Avenue. This was originally built by the C&NW RR. Barney Weber purchased the line in 1897. The C &NW purchased it back in 1917. At the north end of the track was the Weber Yard. This was a rail service facility that provided car storage and engine servicing. This line serviced multiple brick yards and and flower nurseries.
Virtually nothing remains of the Mayfair Cut off and the Chicago and West Ridge Railroad.
Just south of Oakton Street, the author has encountered a bridge crossing the North Shore Channel. This likely is a remnant of the Chicago and West Ridge RR