The Chicago, North Shore and Milwaukee Railroad began in 1895 as the Bluff City Electric RR (Street car line in Waukegan). With growth and expansion, the name was changed to Chicago, Milwaukee Railroad. Its main line traveled through the North Shore suburbs on its way to Milwaukee. Southern terminus was at Church Street in Evanston. Eventually, access was obtained on the Red Line to down town Chicago.
A branch line was constructed to Mundelein. In 1924, construction was begun on the Skokie Valley by-pass. This was constructed to avoid the congestion of the main line. The new line started at Howard Street. It went west to Niles Center From here it extended north and west into a marshy area paralleling the Skokie Branch of the the Chicago and North Western R. R. At Upton, the new route turned east at the Mundelein Branch until it reached west of Lake Bluff. A new connection diverged north onto a freight only branch. It eventually connected to the main line at the North Shore Junction.
Stops on this new bypass included: Howard, Asbury, Dodge Avenue, Crawford, Dempster, Harmswood, Glenayre, Wa-Bun, North brook, Woodridge, Briergale, Highmoor, Sheridan Elms, Deerpath, Lake Bluff, Great Lakes, North Chicago.
In 1925, service was provided on this line by the Chicago Transit Company from Howard to Dempster. Stops on this line were Ridge, Asbury, Dodge,Crawford, Kostner, Oakton, Dempster. Service ended in 1948. It was replaced by bus service.
In 1963, North Shore R.R. line service ended. The CTA resumed service on the Yellow Line between Howard and Dempster
An interesting fact about the Yellow Line is that at one time, the eastern half received power from a third rail; the western half power from overlying wires. Eventually, the entire system was converted entirely to a third rail system.