Revised and expanded 1/1/2018
There have been 8 bridges at Randolph Street. The current Randolph Street Bridge (150 North; 358 West) crosses east to west over the South Branch of the Chicago River 1.7 miles from the mouth of the river. The bridge took three years to complete. It opened on December 18, 1984.
It is a movable double leaf bascule (fixed trunnion) and approach spans, metal stringer (multibeam); fixed. It is steel box girder construction similar to the Loomis Street bridge. The main span is 216 feet long. Structure length is 336.3 feet. There is one main span and three approach spans.
It was designed by the City Department of Public Works and Hazelet and Erdal. Contractor was Kenny Construction Company. Cost was $18 million.
The first bridge at Randolph Street was a hand operated pine and oak pontoon swing bridge It was the first of this kind of bridge in Chicago. It completed on May 6, 1839. It was designed by John Van Osdel. It was built by Charles Grog, City Street Commisioner. Construction costs were $1400. The bridge was removed In 1847.
The second bridge at this site was similar to its predecessor. It was a wood, hand operated pontoon swing bridge. It opened in 1847. Neither the designer nor the builder are known. Construction costs were $5,000. Bridge was destroyed by a flood on March 12, 1849.
The third bridge at this site was a wood hand operated pontoon swing bridge. It was a refurbished version of the first bridge. It opened in August, 1849. The cost was $924 dollars (1/3 funds from local area subscribers; 2/3 city funds). The bridge was designed and built by Bridge Committee City of Chicago.
In January, 1850, Derastus Harper converted this to a turntable pontoon swing bridge.
The bridge was removed and relocated to North Avenue in 1856.
The fourth bridge at this site was opened in July, 1856. It was a swing pivot wood hand operated bridge. It was 162 feet in length. It has wood Howe trusses. It had two 18 foot roadways. There were 7 feet sidewalks. The approaches and center piers were built on pilings.
It was designed by William Boomer. Construction was done by Stone, Boomer, and Bouton. Cost was $20,811. In May, 1864, the bridge was broken beyond repair.
The fifth bridge at this site was a swing wood hand operated bridge. The bridge was constructed off site. The old foundation was used. The bridge was 153 feet long and 32 1/2 feet wide. It was a double truss structure. The bridge opened July, 1864. It was designed and constructed by L.B. Boomer. Construction costs were $5000. Bridge was removed in 1874.
The 6th bridge at this site opened in 1874. It was an all iron steam powered swing bridge. . It used the old foundation. It weighed 134 tons. It was 157 feet long. It was 34 feet wide. It was designed and built by the Keystone Bridge Company. Construction costs were $10,850.
In 1897, the bridge was converted to electric power.
The bridge was removed In 1903.
The 7th bridge at this site was a Scherzer Rolling Lift steel electric powered. It opened on April 15,1903. It was built by the Chicago Sanitary District. It was 169 feet long and 72 feet wide.
It was designed by Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge Company.
Superstructure Contractor was the American Bridge Company.
Substructure Contractor was Jackson Corbett Company.
During its life, the bridge underwent multiple repairs and rehabs.
It was removed July, 1981
Inspection as of 12/2010
Deck Condition Rating Good 7 out of 9
Superstructure Condition Rating Good 7 out of 9
Substructure Condition Rating Very Good 8 out of 9