California Park is a Chicago Park District Park on the northwest side. It extends from Addison Avenue to Irving Park Boulevard; California Avenue to the North Branch of the Chicago River.
This is one of the six parks created the River Park District in 1917. These were established by the efforts of local residents. They sought to constrain commercial development along both the North Branch of the Chicago River and the North Shore Channel. They also sought to provide for recreation opportunities in this region. These parks were ultimately consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934.
The park features playgrounds, baseball diamonds and indoor facility for ice skating and tennis. This is known as the McFetridge Sports Center.
Unfortunately, due to the growth of trees and bushes, the North Branch of the Chicago River is barely visable from this park.