This is a swing bridge between Kedzie Avenue and Pulaski Road. Date of construction is estimated to be about 1897. The substructure contractors were the Mc Arthur Brothers and Winston and Company. Carnegie Steel Company was the superstructure contractor. Estimated cost of the bridge was $64,961.97. Estimated weight of the structure was 1,519, 183 pounds.
This is a singe span bridge. It has two tracks. Its length is 322.7 feet. The total structure length is 327.7 feet. The bridge rests on limestone abutments on the ebankments. Center pier is concrete and limestone. The bridge rotated on the center pier. It is currently fixed and locked in position.
The bridge originally was built for short line Illinois Northern Railroad (part of the Santa Fe System). It is currently used by the Illinois Central.