Lock 6 is one of the original deep cut locks on the Illinois Michigan Canal. Its length is 110 feet; width 18 feet. It was designed to have a lift of 11.8 feet. The original lock gates were made of timber. The walls of the lock are limestone. Concrete was used for patching deteriorated limestone. The lock was originally completed in 1847. It was reconstructed in 1885 and in 1936. The lock was extensively refurbished by the CCC during the 1930’s, The original lock gates are no longer present. A concrete barrier was constructed at the north end of the lock in 1956. There is a wooden foot bridge across the lock to the locktender’s house.
The lock is located in Channahon, Illinois on the east side of the DuPage River.