The first depot in Ottawa was a wood frame building constructed in the 1850’s. It was in use until the 1880’s. A replacement one story depot was built in 1888. It was in use until the early 1900’s.
In 1910, a replacement depot was built at Marquette and Columbus Streets. It has a similar appearance to Rock Island facilities in Iowa City and Council Bluffs, Iowa. The depot is one story in height. It has a two story turret. It measures 60 X 25 feet. It’s exterior walls are brick. The lower one half is tan and red. The upper one half is tan. Originally, the baggage room was a separate building on the east side. In the 1950’s, the two buildings were joined. The sidewalks and platform are made of brick pavers.
Rail service was ended in the 1970’s. The building and tracks were obtained by CSX.
Modifications were made for conversion of the depot to offices.