The Herring Hooks School House in Clermont Historic Village is a replica of the former 1881 Herring Hooks one room school house. Mrs. Thomas J. Hooks taught at this location. The original school house was also known as Herring Hooks Hunting Lodge. The school was located on the east side of US 27 North of SR 50.
The replica was dedicated on April 13, 2013.
In the mid 1880’s, Alexander and Eleonora Kern and their two children relocated to the Clermont, Florida area. They purchased 8 vacant lots on Montrose Street in Clermont. On one of these lots, they built their 2 story wood frame house in 1885.
Alexander Kern built and operated the first public water system. In 1897, he purchased the Wilson General Merchandise Store. This was located at Montrose and 8th Street in Clermont. He operated this store until 1908.
The Kern House was relocated to the Clermont Historic Village in 2006.
The Ponce De Leon Hotel is located at 74 King Street, Saint Augustine, Florida. It was built by Henry Flagler. He was a very wealthy man who made his fortune as a founding partner of Standard Oil.
The Hotel was built on land which was formerly the site of an orange grove and a salt marsh. Flagler purchased the property from Doctor Andrew Anderson.
Construction took place between 1885 and 1887. Architects were John Carrere and Thomas Hastings. Interior design was headed by Louis Comfort Tiffany. Furnishing were provided by Potter and Stymus.
Hotel was constructed entirely of poured concrete. Aggregate was coquina stone. The Hotel was wired for electricity provided by a DC generator. Building style was Spanish Renaissance. Total construction costs were 2.5 million.
During World War 2, the Ponce De Leon was taken over by the U.S. federal government and was used as a Coast Guard Training Center. After the war, it was reactivated as a hotel. In 1967, it closed permanently. In 1968, it become part of Flagler College.
Beginning in 1976, Flagler College began a extensive project to renovate the former hotel building.
The Bridge of Lions carries FL A1A over Mantanzas River (intracoastal waterway) from downtown Saint Augustine to Anastasia Island. The bridge type is metal variable depth girder, movable double leaf bascule (rolling lift) and approach spans, metal cantilever deck deck fixed girder. The bridge was built in 1927 by Virginia Bridge and Iron Company of Roanoke Virginia. The engineer/designer was J.E. Greiner Company of Baltimore, Maryland and Chicago, Illinois.
The main span length was 135 feet. The structure length is 1,545 feet. Width is 25 feet. There is one main span and 23 approach spans. There are decorative lion statutes at the west end of the bridge. These gave rise to the bridges name. They were a gift of Doctor Andrew Anderson.
Beginning in 2010, the bridge underwent an extensive renovation including complete replacement of the bascule spans, replacement of the interior of the approach girder spans, bridge was widened. The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The prior bridge was built in 1895. It was wooden bridge. It was called the bridge to Anastasia, Islandm