Sidney Lanier Bridge

Sidney Lanier Bridge

     The current Sidney Lanier Bridge was opened in 2003.  It is a cable stayed bridge that crosses the Brunswick River in Brunswick, Georgia.  It carries 4 lanes of traffic on US 17.

     The prior bridge at this site was a vertical lift bridge built in 1956.  It was damaged in 2 separate boat versus bridges

 collisions.

Sidney Lanier Bridge

     The current bridge is the longest spanning bridge in Georgia. It is 480 feet tall. Its total length is 7, 779 feet.  The width is 79.5 feet.  The bridge was named for Sidney Lanier, a Georgian Poet

Charlotte Seaboard Airline Train Station

Seaboard Airline Railroad Station Charlotte, North Carolina

     This Railroad Station is located at 100 Tyson Street Charlotte, North Carolina.  It was built in 1896.  The architect was Charles Christian Hook.  It was built for the Seaboard Airline Railroad.

     The station was a red and pink stucco building. The central section is two stories. There is a one story extension. There is a wide umbrella shed which extends 300 feet along the railroad tracks. It is supported by 15 cast iron columns.

     Passenger service ended by the train line 11/3/1958.  The station building subsequently housed the yard offices of the Seaboard Airline Railroad, Seaboard Coast Line Railroad, the Seaboard System Railroad and the CSX Transportation  Railroad.

     The CSX Raiload vacated the station building on  January, 1987.  They donated the station and leased the property to the Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Landmark Commission on October, 1987.  The station building and adjacent property were offered for sale in 1990.  The building was involved in a fire in January, 1991.

     Over the subsequent years the station deteriorated, was vandalized, and was used by the homeless..

    In 1993, A coalition of 4 churches along with local businesses and political leaders purchased the train station and renovated it. They spent $85,000 on the project. It opened on.December 11,1994 as the Charlotte Center for Urban Minority.  They operated a soup kitchen and operated a health center for the homeless.

     In March, 2006, the soup kitchen and administrative offices relocated to a nearby building.   The former train.station became an.art center and classrooms.

     The station was renovated in July, 2017.
     

Old Slave Market Charleston, South Carolina

Old Slave Market

    The Old Slave Market is a building located at 6 Chalmers Street.,Charleston, S.C. It once housed an antebellum slave auction market. It is thought to be the last slave auction facility in South Carolina.  It was originally a part of a larger facility known as Ryan Slave Mart.

     It was built in 1859.  The building style was Gothic Revival Romanesque. It originally measured 44 feet by 20 feet.  The front facade had 20 feet octagonal pillars at each end.  There was an elliptical arch.

     After the facility closed it was converted into a tenement building.  A second floor was added.  In the 1920’s a car dealer show room  operated in the building

Fireproof Building 100 Meeting Street Charleston, South Carolina

Fireproof Building

     This building was constructed in 1827. It is a 2 story masonry structure set on a tall basement with an arcade of round brick arches of brick stuccoed to resemble stone.

     The style is Greek revival.with  Doric Porticoes North and South. The contractor was John G. Spidle. The architect was Robert Mills.

     The building was originally used to house the offices and records of Charleston County.

     The building  is now currently used by the South Carolina Historical Society.

     It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 29,1969.

William Rhett House 54 Hassell Street Charleston, Florida

x

Historical Photo of the Colonel William Rhett House Charleston

     The Rhett House stands at 54 Hassell Street in Charleston.  It was built by Rhett in 1712. It is believed that this is one of the oldest homes in Charleston. At one time, it was the main house of the Point Plantation.

     As originally built this was a two story squarish house.  It is built of bricks covered with stucco.There were later additions on the northwest side as well as east and west piazzas.

     This home remained with the Rhett family until 1807.

Rhett House

Palace Saloon Fernandina Beach, Fl

Palace Saloon

     The first building at 117 Centre Road, Fernardina Beach, FL. was named Prescott after its owner Josiah Prescott. It was built in 1878.  It was a red brick structure in the Beaux Arts Style.  Businesses at this location included a dry good store and a haberdashery.

     In 1903, the building was purchased by Louis G.Hirth.  It was his plan to convert the building into a gentleman’s saloon.  He named it the Palace.

Palace Saloon

     There is a 40 foot carved wood bar, Tiffany glass windows,.solid.brass spitoons, mosaic tile.floors, painted murals, tin ceiling, gas lamp fixtures, paddle ceiling fans.

     This saloon.is the oldest operating bar in Florida

Savannah City Hall

Savannah City Hall

The current site of the City Hall was formerly the site of the City Exchange.  This was demolished in 1904. City Hall is located at 2 E. Bay Street.    The cornerstone was laid on August 11, 1904.  The architect was Hyman Witover.  The contractor was Savannah Contracting Company.  The cost of the project was $250,000.   The project was completed in 1905.  The building was officially opened on 1/2/1906

The building style is renaisance revival.   The exterior is limestone and granite.  The dome was originally covered with copper.  Later it was covered with gold leaf

Savannah City Hall