Beechmont Bed and Breakfast

Beechmont Bed and Breakfast

     This is a 2 story Queen Anne Style Brick Home located at 134 Gate Street West Winnipeg  MB. It was built in 1895.  It was probably designed by Walter Chesterton for Lowery  Lendrum McMeans. Mr. Mc means never lived in the House.

     The house now operates as a bed and breakfast.

     Previous owners include John Benning Monk, Edward McManus, Japanese Consulate.

Picture of the interior

Back of Building

     This house was featured on the Hallmark. Movie Autumn at Apple Hill

Embassy Suites Charleston,South Carolina 337 Meeting Street Charleston, South Carolina

Embassy Suites Charleston, South Carolina

     The Citadel traces its origin to an arsenal in South Carolina formed to defend white residents from.possible.slave rebellion.

     The Citadel College was founded by an act of the state legislature in 1847 as the South Carolina Military Academy. It consisted of the Citadel Academy in Charleston and the Arsenal Academy in Columbia.  Arsenal Academy was destroyed by Sherman in the Civil War.  The Citadel Academy was occupied by Union Shoulders in 1865. It opened as an educational academy in 1887.  It was located at 337 Meeting Street.  In 1992 it was moved to the banks of the Ashley River.

Embassy Suites South Carolina

     The Citadel Building was repurposed as an Embassy Suites Hotel.

Interior Embassy Suites

Amelia Island Lighthouse

Amelia Island Lighthouse

     In 1838, Congress allocated $7,500 for a project to relocate a lighthouse on Cumberland Island to the northern end of Amelia Island.  This involved dismantling the old lighthouse brick by brick and reassembling it on Amelia Island. This project was completed in 1839.

     The  foundation was a stone.basement. The tower was brick with stucco.  It was 61 feet. The original light was produced by 14 oil.lamps backed with reflectors.

     During the Civil War the light was occasionally dimmed

     In 1903, the lamps were replaced by a third order Fresnel.lens

     The lighthouse was automated in the 1930’s.

      In 1970, the final light keeper retired.

     In 2001, ownership of the lighthouse  was transferred to the city of Fernardina Beach.

     Added to the National Register of Historic Places in February 13, 2003

George Fairbanks House Fernardina Beach

George Fairbanks House

     This house is located at 227 S. 7th St. Fernardina Beach, Florida.  It was built in 1885 for George Rainford Fairbanks.  The architect was R. S. Schulyer.  The house is a 4 story Italianate..

     The house currently operates as a bed and breakfast.

     The house was listed on the National Register not Historic Places June 4,1973

George Fairbanks House

Charleston Old Jail

Old Charleston Jail

     21 Magazine aka Old Charleston Jail was located atb21 Magazine Street Charleston, South Carolina. It was operational between1802 to 1939.  It was 4 stories topped with a 2 story octagonal tower.  Charleston architects Harbor and Settle were responsible for an 1855 alteration including a rear octagonal wing.  An 1886 earthquake damaged the tower and top story of the main building.  These were subsequently were removed

   South Carolina Historical Society

South Carolina Historical Society

    The South Carolina Historical Museum  was founded in 1855.  It is a private  non for profit organization with a goal of preserving South Carolina’s rich historical legacy.  The museum is housed in the Fireproof Building at 100 Meeting Street, Charleon, S.C.

     The museum has. extensive collections of historical records, diaries , maps.  There are 30,000 photographs and prints.  There are 50,000 books, pamphlets and  serials.

Edmondston Alston House

Edmund Alston House

     This house is located on 21 E. Battery Charleston, S. C.  It was built on The Battery in 1825 for $25,000 by Charles Edmonston. He was a merchant and wharf owner. The building style was Federal.  It was 3 stories.

     The house was sold to Charles Alston, A rice planter.

     In 1973, the house became a museum