1229 Avenida Del Circo, Venice, Fl.

     The building at this site has a long and confusing history.   Over the years, it had many names and uses.  It was built somewhere between 1983 and 1990. It is 2 stories.  Construction is brick and concrete.  Foundation is slab.  Square footage is 50,000 square feet. There are 65 rooms.

Sign in Front of Resort. Note the address is listed as 1111 Avenida del Circo

Front Entrance of the resort. Note the wall mural

Front view of the resort

Same as above

Same as above

Same as above

Sane as above

Rear of the building

Rear of the Building

fireplace

Area of outdoor dining

Outdoor Dining area

Rear of the Building

Posterior Building

Rear of Building

Rear of the Building

Rear of the Building

Aerial View of Property

The first business at this site was Whispering Sands retirement center.  This was founded in 1990.   Owner was Harvey Weissman.. According to business records there were 3 full time employees.  It averaged 40 to 50 residents.  It was in business for 30+ years.  Primary contact for this business is Harvey Wasserman.  Secondary contact was Steven Wasserman. Both of the Wassermans are brothers.  Harvey is a developer,Steven is a dermatologist,formerly with an office at 1111 Avenida del Circo.  Incidentally Steven was convicted and fined 26.1 million dollars for Medicare fraud.

     In the same  buildIng as the Whispering Sands, there was an outpatient rehab facility known as Florida Sunshine Rehab (1996), psychiatrist (1998), and Bayside  Speech and Rehab 2004).  The retirement home was closed in 2003.

     Harvey Weissman decided to convert Whispering Sands into a rental apartment facility.  It functioned as this until 2007.

     Weissman then decided to convert the facility into a resort named as West  Beach Resort.  Weissman began the process of gutting the interior and building 300 square feet suites with screened patios.  56 units were planned.  Long range plans that never materialized included a six story building and a revolving restaurant.

Dissolution of Corporation

     In 2012, Wasserman opened the 200 seat Grille at West Beach and the first 12 rooms of a planned 56 room resort.

The resort employed seven people.

     The Resort closed in August, 2013..  Factors involved in its failure were location and lack of a swimming pool. Another factor mentioned in only one source.was the presence of asbestosis in the building.  This would incur a huge expense to remove.

     Recently, the owners of this property has petitioned to property rezoned so that they can increase the number of housing units built.  They have received tentative approval of this petition.

Avon Theater, Decatur, Il

Avon Theater

    The Avon Theater opened in November 28, 1916.  It was a single screen operation. It was very elaborate. Unlike.other theaters, it was a film only operation.

     It had a very large screen, fancy plaster work , a sculpture and unusual light fixture.

     In the 1950’s, the theater was considered outdated and also at this time a portion of ceiling collapsed.  It underwent a awful remodeling eliminated many of its unique features.  A large screen obscured the.original one and the orchestra pit.

     The theater underwent a continuing decline.  It was closed by its owner Kerasote chain in 1986.  It was reopened briefly in 1993. It closed again in less than a year.  It stood empty for 6 years.  It was restored and reopened  in 1999.  It screened art and foreign films.  For.its last.few years.of operation it operated as a triplex.  It finally closed in 2025.

Historic Seaboard R.R. Station  420 22nd Street Saint Petersburg, Fl

Historic Seaboard R.R. Station

Historic RR historic


     This historic railroad station was built in.1926. It was built for the Tampa and Gulf railroad.which was an affiliate of the Seaboard Airline Railroad.  This railroad was the second to enter Saint Petersburg.  The building operated as a office building and warehouse.

     The building style is masonry vernacular.  Meanwhile the Tampa and Gulf was fully integrated into the Seaboard Airline Railroad in 1927.  The building continued as a freight depot until 1967

     In 2000, the building underwent a complete restoration.

     It currently is occupied by Morean Center for Clay.

Sydney Harbour located in Sydeny, New South Wales

Sydney Harbour Bridge

     This bridge opened in 1932.  It was designed and built by Dorman Long.It is 134.4 m in height.  48.8 m in width. Total length is 1,140 m   It is a steel through arch bridge.  It spans Sydney Harbour from the Central Business District to North Shore.  It carries Bradfield Hwy, Cahill Expressway and the North Shore Rail Line, a foot path, and a cycle way.