Bradenton Carnegie Library 

     The Carnegie Library in Bradenton was founded in 1918. It served as the main public liberty in Bradenton for 60 years.  It was built by T.W. Hollinger and Sons.  The style is classical revival. It was listed in the National Register of Historical Places on April 9, 1987.  It was one of the ten Florida Carnegie Libraries to receive grants between 1901 and 1919.

     This building is now being used by the Manatee County Historical Library.

Bradenton Carnegie Library Plaque

Bradenton Carnegie Library 1405 4th Avenue West Bradenton, Florida

Bradenton Carnegie Library 1405 4th Avenue West. Bradenton, Florida

Same as above

Bradenton Bank & Trust Company 1023 Manatee Avenue West, Bradenton, Florida

     The Bradenton Bank and Trust Company Building is located at 1023 Manatee Avenue West, Bradenton, Florida.  It was built 1925-1926.  It opened on February 22, 1926.  From 1926 to 1928, the building was the tallest commercial building in Bradenton. It is a seven story building. It is steel reinforced structure.  The architect was Malachi Leo Elliot. Construction costs were $250,000.  Building style is Commercial or Chicago Style.

Address Bradenton Bank and Trust Company Building

     Initially, the bank occupied the ground floor.  The upper floors were occupied by 90 commercial tenants. By 1929, there were only 20 tenants.  The Bank failed in 1933.

Bradenton Bank and Trust Building 1023 Manatee Avenue West Bradenton

Same as above

    Eventually, the ground floor was retail space.  The upper floors were occupied by dentist, doctors, lawyers, and accountants.  Sharps Drug Store was a long time occupant of the ground floor.

     This building is currently owned by a law firm.  The building is currently named the Professional Building.

Current Owners of Bradenton Bank and Trust Building

 

Manatee Village Historical Park 1404 Manatee Avenue East Bradenton, Florida.

Manatee Village Historical Park is an open air museum located at 1404 Manatee Avenue East, Bradenton, Florida. In 1974, a group of women formed an organization known as the Heritage of Manatee’s Environment Committee. They became aware that two historical buildings were in danger of being torn down– 1887 Methodist Church and the 1860 Old Manatee County Courthouse. The group worked with Manatee County officials to reestablish the Manatee County Historical Commission. They arranged to have these two buildings moved to the current historical park location in December, 1975. These two buildings were renovated. The Manatee Village Historical Park was opened on July 4, 1976. Since then many other buildings were added.

List of exhibits

Old Cabbage Head 1913 Train Engine

Informational Plaque

Old Cabbage Head Train Engine

Same as above

Same as above

    Old Cabbage Head is a locomotive built in 1913 by Baldwin Locomotive Works located in Philadelphia.  The name refers to the shape of the smoke stack.

    The engine was originally built for Taylor County Lumbar Company in North Florida.  It is a narrow gauge engine.

     It arrived in Manatee County in 1948 at the Nocatee  Crate Mill Company.   In 2002, it was moved not the Manatee Village Historical Park.

Wiggins Store General Store Built in 1903

Informational Plaque Wiggins Store

Wiggins Store

Wiggins Store

Fogarty Boat Works built in 1866

Fogarty Boat Works

Fogarty Boat Works

Interior Fogarty Boat Works

Interior Fogarty Boat Works

Interior Fogarty Boat Works

1887 Church

1887 Church Plaque

1887 Church

Same as above

Interior Church

Interior Church

Church Organ

     The 1887 Church in the village of Manatee began construction in 1887.  Construction was halted due to an outbreak of yellow fever. However, 2 years later it was completed.  It was the first Christian Congregation south of Tampa.   It functioned as a place of worship for 85 years.  The building was donated by the United Methodist Church to the Manatee Village Historical Park.  It was moved in 1975.  The pews in the church are original .  The vaulted ceiling was similar to other churches at this time

Bunker Hill School

Informational Plaque Bunker Hill School

Bunker Hill School

Bunker Hill School

Bunker Hill School

Bunker Hill School

Old Photo Bunker Hill School

Interior School

Interior School

     Bunker Hill School was a one room school house built in 1908. Children from.the Bunker Hill Community in northeast Manatee County grades one through eight attended the school.  There was one teacher for all of the grades.

     Benjamin David Gullett a teacher and Supervisor of Education in Manatee County for 37 years acquired the school building in  1929; he dismantled it and moved it to his property near Duette.  It was his home and later his daughter’s residence Sallie Gullett Bradley.

     The Gullett family donated the building to Manatee Village Historical Park.  Here it was restored by volunteers.

Florida’s Oldest Courthouse

Historic Plaque Florida’s Oldest Courthouse

Florida’s Oldest Courthouse

Same as above

National Register of Historic Places

Inside of Courthouse

Same as above

     Manatee County First Courthouse was built in 1860.  It is the oldest remaining wood structure  built as a courthouse in Florida.  The land for the building was donated by Josiah and Mary Gates,first permanent white settlers in the Village of Manatee. In 1858, a committee executed a contract with Ezekiel Glazier to draw up plans ($5) and construct a courthouse and jail ($700).  However, the jail was never built. The building was used as a courthouse from 1860 to 1866.

    The former courthouse building was used as a church, parsonage, a social hall and a private residence.

     In 1975, the Manatee United Methodist Church donated the building to the Manatee Village.  It was moved, restored and opened to the public in 1976.

Blacksmith Shop  A Replica

Blacksmith Shop

Same as above

    The blacksmith shop is a replica of what would have been used in the late 1880’s.  .The blacksmith was a vital part of pioneer communities.  He was a source of farming tools and implements.  He was also a source for carpenter tools.

     The replica contains a forge used to heat and shape metal over the anvil. Some blacksmith shops had a bellows that was used to get the fire very hot by blowing air over the coals.  A quenching bucket was used to cool the heated steel.

Outhouse Replica

Outhouse

Gazebo

Gazebo Replica

     This replica of a gazebo.  The kind popular to the turn of the century.

Smokehouse Mill

Informational Plaque

Smokehouse and Syrup Kettle

     This smokehouse and syrup kettle were donated by Thomas G. and Harvey Hayden in memory of their parents Dempsey G. and Hollie Wingate Hayden.  They lived on Andrew and Leslie Wingate Homestead. This is located on the eastern reaches of the Manatee River in what is known as the Bear Bay Section of Manatee County.

     Due to the lack of dependable refrigeration for meat storage, a smoke house was needed in rural pioneer homes. Cuts of pork and sausage were hung in the smoke house.  Underneath the meats, a green oak or a hickory wood fire was built or maintained for days causing a dense smoke which cured the meat.

Sugar Cane Mill

     Sugar Cane Mills and syrup kettles  were found throughout the south of the United States. The cane was was a source for both sugar and syrup. This mill above was donated by Hazel Hankee.  The mill was used to press the juice from the cane stalks.  A horse or mule was hitched to the low end of the sweep which was balanced on the top of the mill. The mule or horse walked in a circle turning the mill. Sugar Cane stalks were fed between the rollers.  The juice was collected and poured into the syrup kettle.  It was cooked over fire

Stephens House

Informational Plaque

The Stephens House

Same as above

The Stephens House

     The Stephens House was built in 1912 for Will Stephens and his family on their homestead in Hardee County, Florida. Local lumbar from.pine trees was used in the construction. The style of the home was rural frame.

     Eventually, the homestead became the property of the International Mineral Corporation.   The company donated the house to the Manatee County Historical Commission.  The building was separated into five sections and moved to the Manatee Village Historical Park in 1982 where it was reassembled.  The floors in the house are original.  The fireplace was constructed of original bricks.

Former Mantee County Courthouse 1115 Manatee Avenue West,Bradenton, Florida

Former Manatee County Courthouse Bradenton, Florida

     The former Manatee County Courthouse is located at 1115 Manatee Avenue West, Bradenton. It was built in 1912. Architects were McGucken and Hyer.It was built  by Falls City Construction. Style was Neoclassical Revival. It was built with reinforced concrete.The outside wall were made with buff colored bricks.  There are portico on all sides.  There are front columns.  At one time, the county jail was on the 4th floor.  There was a dome on the roof.  It was removed in 1925.  An addition was made to the south side of the building in 1966.  This building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 11, 1998.

 The former courthouse is now used by the Manatee  County Clerk and County Comptroller.

Old Manatee Courthouse 1404 Manatee Avenue East Bradenton, Fl

     The Old Manatee Courthouse was located in Bradenton, Florida. The architect Ezechiel Glacier won a $1000 construction contract to build a wooden one story building for the courthouse.  The building took from 1859-1860 to be completed. It is still standing.It is the oldest existing courthouse in Florida  After ceasing to be used as courthouse, it functioned as the Manatee Methodist Church and the Manatee Methodist Church Parsonage.  On June 29, 1976, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

     In 1975, the courthouse building was moved to the Manatee Historical Village at 1404 Manatee Avenue East.

Old Manatee County Courthouse

Same as above

Historical Plaque Manatee County Courthouse

Interior Courthouse

Same as above

Building listed on the National Register of Historic Places